#TeamSweeney is proud to have been a part of the Mahoning Valley for nearly 100 years. If you've ever wondered about how we came to be, give the below information a read.
Our company's beginning can trace its roots all the way back to 1921, beginning with the Stearns Motor Sales Company formed. The Stearns Motor Sales Company was founded by prominent persons in the finance, banking, iron and steel industry. In 1925, a franchise for Nash Automobiles was obtained and the Company's name was changed to the Nash Youngstown Company. In 1931, The local Buick dealer (Mahoning Buick Company) went bankrupt and the Company obtained the Buick franchise from General Motors. It was in 1931 that "The Buick Youngstown Company" was created, and operations were moved to our new location at 1021 Wick Avenue. Thanks to our community, The Buick Youngstown Company began selling more and more Buick's, growing each year even through the disastrous times of the Depression faded away.
When World War II erupted, we began to manufacture War material, not only on the premises at Wick Avenue, but also in buildings around the area. We cut and formed tank parts. Additionally, military vehicles were brought back from African and Italian Companies and repaired in anticipation of sending them to the Pacific. We were incredibly proud to do our part to support the war effort.
In 1969, Buick Youngstown's original showroom was demolished and a new one was erected with a larger Service Department. These facilities served #TeamSweeney well until 1986, when a new Buick Youngstown facility was built on Market Street in Boardman, Ohio to better meet the needs of out growing Dealership. Our operations in Boardman include over 50,000 square feet of Sales, Service and Office Space situated on 20 acres of land. Always focused on the Customer, we have been willing to change to meet the demands and lifestyles of our Customers. This was demonstrated by the addition of the GMC Truck franchise in 1987, Pontiac franchise in 1996, and the Chevrolet franchise in 2004.
Currently, the company still operates on both sides of Market Street in Boardman, Ohio. However, we have grown every year thanks to the continued support of the Valley. Today, we employ nearly 200 full time valley residents. We have even been fortunate enough to recently complete two renovations and expansions. We have also been honored with such awards as the General Motors Mark of Excellence for each of our brands 2013-2015 and the DealerRater Customer Satisfaction Award. We were also nominated for both the TIME Magazine and DealerRater Dealer of the Year honor.